Global Forum on Accessible Cities
Share on social media
16 and 17 June 2011. Turin, Italy. Fondazione CRT, as member of the European Foundation Center, organizes an international meeting on Accessible Cities in collaboration with the Global Partnership for Disability and Development, the World Bank and the League of Accessible and Historical Cities.
16 and 17 June 2011. Turin, Italy.
Fondazione CRT, as member of the European Foundation Centre, organizes an international meeting on Accessible Cities in collaboration with the Global Partnership for Disability and Development, The World Bank and the League of Accessible and Historical Cities.
The purpose of the meeting is the contribution to a European‐focused debate through an international perspective.
The promoters of the meeting intend to offer a concrete occasion to share practices, policies and strategies.
Contacts and networking will help to disseminate new ideas relevant to accessibility and social inclusion.
The conference is open to the public interested in accessibility and in learning more about international policies and strategies. Media will also be involved. 100 people, including representatives of various organizations and institutions are expected to join the conference.
New! Conference Results: (27.6.2011)
Watch videos with interviews from the event on the EFC YouTube Channel.
16th JUNE 2011
10.30 Welcome and General Opening
Angelo Miglietta – Secretary General Fondazione CRT
11.00 – 13.00
Group 1) League of Historical and Accessible Cities meeting (Members only)
Group 2) Cultural visit for all people not involved in the LHAC meeting.
14.00 General Framework and Institutional Speeches
Welcome and Introduction: Giovanni Ferrero – Vice-President, Fondazione CRT
14.15 Mainstreaming Accessibility in the Development Agenda
- Maria Veronica Reina - Executive Director, GPDD
- Aleksandra Posarac - Team Leader, World Bank
14.45 The UNCRPD and Accessibility
- Akiko Ito ‐ Chief of the United Nations Global Program on Disability
15.15 The EU Policy and Strategies 2010‐2020 on Social Inclusion and Accessibility
- Inmaculada Placencia - European Commission, Deputy Head of Unit for Rights of Persons with Disabilities within the Directorate-General for Justice
15.45 The Commitment of the European Foundations
- Gerry Salole – General Director EFC – European Foundation Centre
16.00 Coffee Break
16.30 Progress and Prospects of Universal Design in the United States
- Richard C. Duncan – Executive Director, RL Mace University Design Institute North Carolina
17.00 Travel and Tourism for All
- Ivor Ambrose – Managing Director, European Network for Accessible Tourism (ENAT)
17.15 Freedom of Movement for Persons with Disabilities
- Donata Vivanti ‐ Vice-President, European Disability Forum
20.00 Dinner. This social event is dedicated to promote informal contacts and networking among participants at the working session of the 17th June and with the international institutions involved in the conference.
17th JUNE 2011 Universal Design: Presentation of Projects and Initiatives
The meeting is organized as a Round Table. The focus is on universal design with the contribution of experts and the presentation of specific initiatives and projects. Time will be dedicated to discussion among participants.
- Foundations Members of the League of Historical and Accessible Cities and the Cities' partners
- EFC Consortium of Foundations on Human Rights and Disability
- European Network for Accessible Tourism
- European Disability Forum
- Eurocities – Working Group "Barrier-Free Cities for All"
- Global Partnership for Disability and Development
- World Bank
- European Commission, Unit for Rights of Persons with Disabilities within the Directorate-General for Justice
- United Nations Global Program on Disability
- Universal Design Experts
- FIRAH ‐ Fondation Intérnationale de la Recherche Appliquée sur le Handicap
- ISITT – Italian Institute for Tourism for All
- Politecnico di Torino
- Italian Design Association
Moderator: Ivor Ambrose, ENAT
Session 1 – Universal Design. Method, approach and specific projects
From 09.00 to 11.30
- Fabrizio Astrua ‐ Post‐graduate Course on Universal Design, Politecnico di Torino, Italy
- Gerald Craddock ‐ Irish Centre for Excellence in Universal Design, Ireland
- Richard C. Duncan – RL Mace Universal Design Institute North Carolina, USA
- Mercé Luz – Fundación ONCE, Head of Department of Culture and Leisure, Spain
- Katerina Papamichail ‐ Head of Architectural Studies Department, Workers’ Housing Organisation, Greece
- Louis Pierre Grosbois – Architect, Professor, France
- Fionnuala Rogerson – Architect, Ireland
- Gerd Grenner – Eurocities Working Group: Barrier‐free Cities for All
Session 2 – Presentation of The League of Accessible Historical Cities
From 11.30 to 12.30
- Maria Orejas Chantelot - Introduction
- Ivor Ambrose - Technical overview
Presentation of specific projects:
- City of Ávila, Spain
- City of Viborg, Denmark
- City of Mulhouse, France
Session 3 – Discussion Among Participants and Conclusion
From 13.15 to 15.30
16 June: Participation is free. Please register in advance:
Telephone - 011/5627396
17 June: Participation by invitation only, for experts and institutions.
Visit the website:
Fondazione CRT "Open for All" Seminars.