CEN Seminar on Standardization in the Tourism Sector
Wednesday, 8 December 2010. Brussels. A Seminar for tourism stakeholders was convened by the European Standards Committee, CEN, in order to discuss the possible need for new standards in the tourism sector.
ENAT Managing Director Ivor Ambrose was one of the invited speakers and presented a summary of a recent study on Accessible Tourism Standards in Europe.
Since its creation in 1995, CEN/TC 329 “Tourism services” has developed 11 European Standards in relation to terminology, recreational diving services, language study tours and tourist guides training and qualification programmes. The TC has not started any new work since 2008 and has limited itself to the systematic review of published standards.
In addition to the development of national and international standards (ISO/TC 228 “Tourism and related services), in the last years, there have been a series of new developments in relation to the tourism at European level:
- The feasibility study in relation to the possibility to develop European Standards on accessibility to transport and tourism services within the framework of Mandate M/371 on service standardization;
- the adoption of the Lisbon Treaty which creates a new legal basis entirely devoted to tourism in order to support and complement the action of the Member States in this field;
- the publication by the European Commission of communication COM (2010) 352 on a new political framework for tourism in Europe , where several actions in relation to the development of sustainable, responsible and high-quality tourism are outlined.
The aim of the seminar was to take stock of the work done so far and to have an exchange of views among stakeholders on any needs and opportunities for new standardization work in the area of tourism services.
Mr. R. JANSEN, CEN/TC 329 Chairman
10:35 Short-introduction of CEN
Mrs. M. OLABARRIA , CEN- CENELEC Management Centre
10:45 Overview of standardization activities on tourism at national, European and International level
- Standardization work at national level, Mrs. M OLABARRIA (on the basis of a survey among members and the list of standards done on the basis of national notifications)
- Standardization work at European level, Mr. R. JANSEN, CEN/TC 329 Chairman
- Standardization work at International level, Mrs. E. ORDOZGOITI, ISO/TC 228 Secretary
11:15 COFFEE BREAK
11:30 Political framework for tourism in Europe: priorities and possible contribution of standardization
- F. TUDINI , Acting Head of Unit Tourism, DG Enterprise, European Commission
- I. PLACENCIA PORRERO, Deputy Head of Unit Integration of people with disabilities, DG Employment, European Commission
12:00 Stakeholders view on tourism standardization and further needs for European standards
- Study on Accessible Tourism Standards in Europe, Ivor Ambroise, Managing Director, ENAT
- The consumer view on tourism standardization and any further needs for standards: ANEC
- Hospitality and hotel industry view on tourism standardization and any further needs for standards: HOTREC
- Presentation on benefits from established European Tourism Standards
13:45 Panel Debate and Discussion
15:30 Close of the seminar
Download the Seminar presentations and Conclusions from the CEN Web Site
Further information about the Accessible Tourism Study (Ivor Ambrose's presentation)