Project “SPIT” – Encouraging Integration of Tourism and Development of New Employment Opportunities for Disabled Persons
07/11/2008 | 0 comments
At the beginning of 2008, CenterKontura prepared a one-year experimental development Project called SPIT, which was supported by the Fund of the Republic of Slovenia for Promotion of Employment of Persons with Disabilities.
The main goals of the SPIT Project are:
- obtaining interested providers of accommodation that is adapted to the needs of disabled people and disabled people’s organizations for encouraging the development of tourism for disabled people;
- setting up an internet page with information on tourism adapted to the needs of disabled people;
- preparing the agenda for education and training of human resources – for the tourist workers with offers, which are adapted to the needs of disabled people;
- improving employment opportunities for disabled persons in the tourism industry and increasing their competitiveness on the market;
- establishing a Consortium/Institute called SPIT.
- At the moment, we are finalizing the Project and by the end of 2008, we will establish the SPIT Consortium /Institute.
The SPIT Consortium / Institute will be a non-profit organization with the aim of integrating various accommodation providers, tourism sectors, disabled persons’ organizations and all interested in encouraging common development, promotion and marketing of tourism for disabled persons in Slovenia.
Long-term goals of the SPIT Consortium / Institute are:
- obtaining tourist offers providing accommodation and other tourist offers (travel agencies, food services, transportation, etc.) adapted to the needs of disabled people;
- improving accessibility for disabled people and their family members;
- implementing common information, promotion and marketing on tourism adapted to the needs of disabled people;
- training of human resources in tourism, dealing with disabled persons and persons with special needs;
- offering professional assistance to SPIT personnel and other potential members in the area of tourism dealing with disabled persons and persons with special needs;
- preparing standards for the Categorization of accommodations adapted to the needs for disabled people in cooperation with the Slovenian Tourist Board (STB);
- establishing attractive ITP’s adapted for disabled persons;
- Improving employment opportunities for disabled persons in tourism and increase their competitiveness on the market;
- promoting general awareness on the importance and need of tourism adapted to the needs of disabled people;
- cooperating with the Slovenian Tourist Board and other interested organizations from the field of tourism.