One Year to the '1st World Summit on Destinations for All' in Montreal, Canada, October 2014
Save the Date: 19-22 October 2014, Montreal.
Tourism, Culture and Transportation. A Common Strategy at the International Level
The First World Summit on Destinations for All will be held in Montreal in October 2014.The Summit aims to establish an international strategy to develop inclusive tourism. Mr. André Vallerand and Mr. Ivor Ambrose are the co-chairs of this prestigious, one-of-a-kind event.
“The development of universal accessibility of infrastructures, tourism services, and transport services cannot be done without a global partnership: we must share our knowledge and best practices for dissemination, and convince our partners that sustainable development must be inclusive.”
- André Vallerand, Special Advisor to the Secretary General of the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), President of the World Centre of Excellence for Destinations, and co-chair of the Summit.
“Tourism for All is not only a question of human rights, but it is also a target market that investors should consider. Destinations that can offer accessible experiences for all their visitors will see a favourable return on their investments, as demographic change brings greater numbers of older travellers who tend to stay longer and travel throughout the year.”
- Ivor Ambrose, Managing Director of the European Network for Accessible Tourism (ENAT) and co-chair of the Summit.
“We need not only international standards, but also an independent evaluation mechanism or a certification in order to properly inform the clientele of accessible conditions in an establishment and/or a destination.”
- André Leclerc, CEO of Keroul and instigator of the World Summit Destinations for All.
Several prestigious international organizations have joined this event, including the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), the International Social Tourism Organisation (ISTO), the European Network for Accessible Tourism (ENAT), the World Centre of Excellence for Destinations (CED), the ONCE Foundation in Spain, and the Tourisme & Handicaps Association in France .
Confirmed sponsors include:
- The Ministère des Relations internationales du Québec
- The Ministère du Tourisme du Québec
- Transports Québec
- Tourisme Montréal
Background to the Summit
This Summit comes at a crucial turning point in the international economy for the development of inclusive tourism, as discerned by these facts:
- In October 2011, the European Parliament adopted a Resolution on mobility and inclusion of people with disabilities and the European Disability Strategy 2010 - 2020 in favour of people with disabilities;
- The international standard ISO 21542 on the accessibility of the built environment for people with disabilities was launched in December 2011;
- In 2013, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO-ICAO) published its Manual on Access to Air Transport by Persons with Disabilities;
- On September 11, 2013, the World Tourism Organization released its revised Recommendations on Accessible Tourism for All;
- On September 25, 2013, France launched a call for nominations to territories wishing to take advantage of the label "Destination for all" ;
- The French Republic law for the integration of disabled people established January 1, 2015 as the deadline for the accessibility of facilities open to the public;
- At the Conference of States Parties to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities in July 2013, the co-chair of the UN Committee on Sustainable Development Goals made a clear link between sustainable development and the inclusion of persons with disabilities;
- The United Nations has initiated discussions with the international community to determine the goals the UN will follow after the end of the Millennium Development Goals in 2015.
Conditions are therefore timely and conducive for establishing a global partnership to develop Tourism Destinations for All.
Internationally renowned invited speakers from business, government, NGO and academic sectors will inform, enlighten and engage with the Summit participants in three days of plenaries and workshops.
Organisations and businesses are welcome to exhibit their products and services and plan Side Events at the Summit.
Save the dates 19-22 October 2014. Join us in Montreal!
The World Summit Destination for All will be held at the Palais des congrès de Montreal, from the 19th to 22nd of October 2014.
We invite all destination managers, tourism service providers, municipalities, researchers and the entire international community involved in tourism development to reserve the dates and join us at the World Summit in Montreal, Canada.
The Steering Committee invites individuals or organizations - practitioners and scientists, wishing to share their experience and point of view, to participate in the Summit.
A description of the themes and issues that will be addressed during the event Summit can be found on our Web site, www.destinationspourtous2014.com.
Call for Abstracts
The Call for Abstracts for the Summit conference, Practitioners' Track and Scientific Track, will open in November 2013.
Submissions will be invited for oral presentations, workshops, posters or videos.
For more information, please visit our website www.destinationspourtous2014.com.