Pro-ICAT Malaysia: Accessible Tourism Promotes National Development
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. 25 to 28 November 2011.
Pro-ICAT is not only an informative conference but also an exhibition, a photo contest, a convoy and much more.
This, the first event of its kind in Malaysia, is organised by Beautiful Gate Foundation for The Disabled, together with Disabled People International Asia Pacific Region, Malaysia Confederation of The Disabled and other disabilities related NGOs.
An Informative Conference
- To highlight the existence of Accessible Tourism through hosting events that will draw attention to this niche in the tourism sector
- To provide information on Accessible Tourism to the public locally and internationally
- To make known to the public the obstacles and challenges in Accessible Tourism and ways to overcome it
- To encourage a tourism system in Malaysia that welcomes Persons with Disabilities (PWDs) by bridging a good liaison between disabled organizations and tourism organizations so that attractions can be facilitated more systematically.
- To encourage the Ministry of Tourism in Malaysia to do more research in promoting Accessible Tourism.
- To advocate for the removal of architectural and transportation barriers that prevent PWDs from sharing fully in all aspects of our society including going for tours.
The main highlight for this event are the three plenary sessions as below:
Plenary 1: Accessible Tourism Promotes National & Regional Development
Plenary 2: Accessible Tourism & National Economic Development
Plenary 3: Challenges & Potential: Exploring Enchanting Malaysia from the perspective of PWDs.
Each session focuses on the importance of accessibility that would help promote national and regional economic development, besides drawing attention to the PWD challenges that the country is currently facing as well as suggesting the potential of the power of accessibility in promoting accessible tourism in our country.
Guest speakers include Joseph Kwan, Global Chair of the RI International Commission on Technology and Accessibility (ICTA) and Emma Li-Chia Lee, Senior Specialist for international affairs, Asia Pacific Disability Forum (APDF).
A Huge Convoy by PWDs and Volunteers
Apart from the informative plenary sessions, a convoy is the next highlight. A convoy around the city center will create extensive awareness to the public.
The message that we wish to send across to the public is more impactful and effective. By moving around the city, with the aid of volunteers on that day, we could explore the places of interest in the city, highlighting areas that could further improve to make the city a more disabled friendly place for Accessible Tourism.
Our wish is to make Malaysia a disabled friendly country. It is not only beneficial to local and foreign PWDs but will also provide easy accessibility for the elderly to travel in Malaysia. This will further promote the country as a more favorable country for tourism purposes.
An Attractive Exhibition
During the course of the event, there will be on-going exhibition featuring the disabled community in Malaysia, the activities held in conjunction with many other disabled foundations in some of the country’s places of interest, exhibition of arts and craft and various hand-made products created by the disabled and also other PWDs related issues.
Beside, various parties including local and international travel agencies, hotels, etc would be invited to put up an exhibition on their interesting packages and facilities on Accessible Tourism. One could easily plan for an exciting and accessible tour with all the information provided.
An Exciting City Tour
Touring the city of Kuala Lumpur could be very exciting. The tour will take you to explore the fascinating sights in and around the city. Enjoy visits to cultural places and cosmopolitan structures that will leave you enriched with an experience of Kuala Lumpur. Places of interest will include:
- Petronas Twin Tower, World’s Tallest Twin Building (http://petronastwintowers.com.my)
- Sky Bridge (http://kualalumpurtravel.net/petronas-twin-towers-skybridge.html)
- KLCC Aquarium (http://www.aquariaklcc.com)
- KL Bird Park, World’s Largest Free-flight Walk-in Aviary (http://klbirdpark.com)
- KL Central Market (http://centralmarket.com.my)
- KL China Town (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinatown,_Kuala_Lumpur)
Further Information and Registration
Read the Welcome Message by Executive Director, Beautiful Gate foundation for the Disabled, Sia Siew Chin.
Visit the Pro-ICAT Website for further details and online registration. Early-bird prices apply until 1st October 2011.
29, Jalan SS2/59,
47300 Petaling Jaya,
Tel: (603) 7873 6579 or (603) 7875 8609
Email: pro-icat <at> beautifulgate.org.my