CARE project: Accessible Cities of European Regions
07/12/2007 | 0 comments
The C.A.R.E. project (Città Accessibili delle Regioni Europee – Accessible Cities in the Regions of Europe) was based on the cross-national sharing of city development policies in which accessibility to everyone is key to quality, in order to make the geographical resources better suited to the requirements of all those users who have special needs. "Cities that will be able to fulfil the most exacting requirements will be more functional and friendlier to everyone". From this point of view cities will enjoy added value as tourist cities, thereby increasing their economic profit from investing in accessibility.
In particular, the purpose of the project was:
- To develop a network of accessible services and facilities among the European cities by adopting a standardised accessibility rating method;
- To carry out communication and information campaigns (for the citizens and also the guests);
- To create "friendly cities" by building specialised service networks, ranging from recreational services to quality of street furniture.
* Analysis of the requirements of those users/customers (population and tourists) who have special needs with a view to creating a friendly city;
* Determination of the features of a “friendly city” and collection of information on the city’s services and facilities;
* Development of a worldwide databank to be used by operators, providing rating models;
* Development of a databank to be used by third parties, consultable by users/customers.
Training and information campaigns
* Training of skilled personnel, able to rate the accessibility of the main services;
* Development of a "Quality Charter for Friendly Cities" whose method and rating systems are common and shared with the other partners.
Application and validation of the method in some facilities.
* Development of a network system between public bodies and private institutions;
* Development of an information centre/observation post in charge of communicating and monitoring both actions and results, in order to make the most of the networks formed by the project;
* Transfer of management models that stand out for their high accessibility standards.
Publication of results on paper and DVD. Partecipation at european meeting about the world of accessible of tourism.
Length: 24 months
Total cost: € 2,008,359.90, of which € 1.061.232,20. come from the European Fund for Regional Development (FESR) in the framework of Interreg III B CADSES program.
* Emilia-Romagna Regional Administration (ITA) Lead Partner
* Municipality of Bologna (ITA)
* Municipality of Ferrara (ITA)
* Municipality of Forlì (ITA)
* Lombardy Regional Administration (ITA)
* A.I.A.S. Milano onlus (ITA)
* Umbria Regional Administration (ITA)
* Province of Ancona (ITA)
* Province of Pesaro-Urbino (ITA)
* "Si Può" Association (ITA)
* Venice Card - Città di Venezia (ITA)
* Bildungsinstitut Pscherer (GER)
* City of Gera (GER)
* Atempo Association (AUT)
* Prefectural Authority of Thessaloniki (GRE)
* North-East regional development agency (ROM)
Tel. +39 051 283491